Friday, July 07, 2006

Of Codes, Dreams and Dan Brown

Okay, it's been a while since my last post. But I have a very good reason for the delay. It was The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown that caused the delay. I know, I know. I'm sooooo behind times if I'd just read the book. So sue me! But whatever it is, I have to say that this book is great! I got me the book on loan and finished it in just a couple of days. I actually watched the movie first before reading the book, and I'm glad I didn't read the book earlier. Don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but I liked the book much better. The movie wasn't as complicated as I had thought it would be, but there were still questions unanswered. But all those questions were answered after reading the book. I was so impressed with the book that I went out and got myself the Dan Brown boxed set of his four best-sellers. And that's why I've been a little on the quiet side in updating my blog.

Anyway, after I got the boxed set, I tried to read the books in writing order. So I started with Digital Fortress first, before moving on to Deception Point. But after reading Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortress, I noticed a recurring theme in both those books. Never mind the fact that both stories revolve around the protagonist running around trying to solve clues. But what I noticed about these two books is that they both have incidences where the hero(ine) was awakened from sleep with the ringing of the phone. Makes you wonder whether Brown has got issues relating to dreams being interrupted by the phone. At least, it made me wonder so.

Back to Digital Fortress, I'm quite impressed with Brown's rendition on the whole PKI algorithm issue. I'm sure he's had countless hours of consultation to grasp the whole idea of encryption and algorithms from the security point of view. What especially intrigued me was the idea of the revolving cleartext. It opens up a whole universe of security issues if anyone had actually managed to write an algorithm to employ the revolving cleartext as a shifting algorithm to come up with a new PKI standard: an unbreakable algorithm! And the whole idea of using mutational strings as the backbone of the algorithm is so logical, that it might just work. But I would tabik spring to the one who can make this possible, coz I get dizzy just thinking about the magnitude of the programming involved.

Right now, I'm in the midst of reading Deception Point. Actually, to say that I'm in the midst of reading it wouldn't be too precise. I just got started on the book yesterday, so it really means I've just started reading the first few pages. So we'll just have to wait and see what will happen in this book. Tungguuuu....