Thursday, July 06, 2006

Melayu mudah lupa

It's been a couple of days since my "sleep like a log" incident. You'd think I'd learn my lesson by now. But did I? Heavens, no! Last night, again I find myself glued to my laptop, cruising from one site to another. What has changed? Nothing. Not a single thing. But wait! Something HAS changed... But what is it, I wonder...

Looking back at the time when I first got Streamyx (which at this juncture in time, feels like a millenia ago), I realised that my access spEed is MUCH faster now. Bewildered, I checked my network configuration to see if anything has been modified. Everything seems like it was before. So why is it that my lag time has been cut considerably short? I asked my buddy who put his server at my place what might have been the reason that my access speed is faster. His explaination was simple: before, my ADSL modem connected directly to my laptop did the dialing up for me. Hence, it took quite a chunk of my resources and this inescapably took a toll on my speed. But now, since the ADSL modem is attached to his server and my laptop is just a "passenger" instead of the "driver", I'm gaining speed like I've never had before!

So what has this unexpected but welcomed turn of events has got to do with the title of this post? Well, this incident shows that sometimes, we're easily sidetracked by unforeseen occurences. In this case, the unexpected speed that I gained has made me again, sacrifice my much needed sommeil réparateur in lieu of a better surfing experience. A simple thing like speed overcomes the biological need for slumber. How stupid is that!

In any case, this morning isn't too bad. I woke up earlier than my usual time, not feeling the least bit disoriented (for now) and by 7.30, I was already munching away on 3 pieces of karipap and a pulut panggang. Ever since I've made it a habit to have my dinner at 6 pm, my mornings greet me with the growlings of Beethoven's 5th symphony playing away in my tummy, demanding that it be fed. Oh well, since breakfast IS the most important meal of the day, I guess it's no harm to stuff myself silly so early in the morning, right?